Health care

Citizens of other states must pay when making use of medical care services within the territory of Poland. That is why it is recommended that you acquire insurance for the time of travel in the insurance company in your own country.

Persons authorised to receive healthcare under Community coordination regulations are entitled to free medical services during their stay in Poland. Such services may be obtained from service providers who have concluded agreements for the provision of healthcare with the National Health Fund (NFZ). Such persons should obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling.

More about the Card on the following Websites:

Basic medical care

In order to obtain basic medical care, you must visit a doctor who has signed an agreement with NFZ and present the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate. The basic medical care covers tests and consultation with a GP. The doctor may also send the patient to diagnostic tests, to a specialist or to hospital.


In the case of an accident, injury, childbirth, sudden illness or sudden deterioration of health, you must call an ambulance or go directly to hospital, in particular to the hospital A&E department (SOR). The medical transport is free of charge in such cases. The European Health Insurance Card or a substitute certificate must be presented in hospital.

Emergency ambulance service:

  • from landlines 999
  • from mobile phones 112

More information at the Website of the Ministry of Health

Follow us

Katowice on Facebook
Go up

Website belongs to Katowice City Hall. All rights reserved.

Projekt i wykonanie: Media Partner / Reklama / Katowice